Full featured combined GPS vario
SkyDrop vario is a full featured combined GPS vario. By the way, with its 68g it is the lightest vario with display! SkyDrop is a middle class instrument, dedicated for wide range of pilots. Instead of long listing all the features, which would take many mouse scrolls, we can introduce several use cases. If interested, please find function list in Specification tab:
- Once pilot is autonomous in basic skills (take off or landing), she/he is thirsty for air time. SkyDrop will gratefully help with this mission. It doesn't need to sit on cockpit of cocoon harness, or even worse - at old school leg mount. Instead of that, a riser mount puts instrument right in front of pilot's eyes, where she/he can easily read all what is needed.
- We recommend riser mount also for advanced pilots, due to safety reasons. When using riser mount, pilot can operates device with brake in her/his hand.
- However small and lightweight SkyDrop is, we found some space for complete set of motion sensors. Their fusion with the best available baro sensor creates high sensitive compass or instant vario reaction.
- Competition pilot at the front of leading gaggle needs reliable backup. SkyDrop generates FAI1 class IGC tracklogs and has waypoint navigation with route length optimisation.
- Tandem pilot has very limited space for instruments, but SkyDrop on passengers shoulder or helmet easily solves this situation.
- Do you like hike&XC? SkyDrop with its 68 grams in combination with your mobile phone is all you need for these exciting adventures.
- Leg mount is for camera, not for prehistoric instruments anymore! Riser mount is ideal for "always looking up" acro pilots, who also need some kind of instrument. SkyDrop can provide safety features like altitude alarms, or just G-force meter for fun. Maybe infinity tumble counter will come ;)
- weight 68 g (double battery model 86g)
- dimensions 98x57x19 mm
- battery 900 mAh, 7-12h (double battery version 2000 mAh, 15-25h)
- memory 16 Gb
- vario - analog/digital/average, acoustic signalization, graph history
- instant vario response
- flight loggs - IGC/KML accepted for FAI Category 1 competitions
- GPS - ground speed, altitude, heading, glide ratio
- wind speed and direction
- altimeters - 5 adjustable altimeters (relative, absolute, GPS or QNH mode)
- height above ground level (AGL)
- competition waypoint navigation with route length optimisation
- airspace violation warning
- fully customisable - multiple screens with configurable layouts and widgets
- android connectivity - XCTrack, FlyMe, XCSoar, LK8000, TopHat, Sky Land Tracker, Paragliding Dashboard
- iOS connectivity - FlySkyHy, SkyLogger, SkyLogger XXL
- digital compass
- weak lift detection (pre-thermal sound)
- bearing and distance from take-off
- flight diary, fly time, real time clock
- auto take off and landing detection
- UART output (for E-readers connection)
Every future feature will be available for free in software update, check current version here.
- SkyDrop variometer
- raiser holder with adhesive hooks&loops
- micro USB cable
- user guide
To display altitude above ground, you need to have terrain data loaded in your SkyDrop. We pre-load most flown areas during production. If you have an older device without pre-loaded terrain data, you can download this package here. If your area in not included, you can select and download terrain data and following how to guide. Red marked areas in map represent pre-loaded terrain dat.
SkyDrop vario has airspace violation warning functions. You can download airspace data here.
Web based online configurator is great support tool for SkyDrop, which has two main functions. The first, you can upgrade software in your vario and get new functions. The second, you can customize all settings options more comfortable way than directly on device. Even more, configurator allows you to set most advanced functions like custom acoustics, what is not accessible in vario menu.
If you decide to connect your SkyDrop with phone or tablet via Bluetooth, you can get very accurate barometric data in your flight computer app. We support XCTrack, XCSoar, FlyMe, LK8000, G_variometer and Paragliding Dashboard on Android devices. FlySkyHy, SkyLogger and SkyLoggerXXL are supported apps running on iOS. Please read user manual and watch tutorial videos if you want closer view to this topics.
If you find LCD screen of SkyDrop vario not working anymore or has some non-functional blocks (mostly whole rows), this is caused by mechanical damage of the screen. Even if there are no signs or cracks from outside, for sure there is broken part of LCD inside device. This damage can occur if too heavy force is applied to front side of vario. Please contact us via email to resolve this issue.
Very rarely pilots complain to non-functional GPS receiver. When vario was switched off for longer time or you traveled to another country, some time is needed to achieve 3D GPS fix. If vario still cannot catch it for more than 10 minutes, please go to menu>settings>GPS>status screen to see locked satellites. If there is 0/0 in upper right corner, vario has to be opened and repaired. Please contact us via email resolve this issue.
If there is something wrong with your SkyDrop, please leave us message at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please don't send us vario for repair without previous consultation, because in many cases we can fix it by email, so don't waste your money and time if not necessary. If you anyway want send us broken vario without previous consultation, mark package value to 20€ if you are outside of EU.
SkyDrop vario instant response
Great device awesome service
Arrived just a few days after ordering, and it had to go all the way to Taiwan. So was super impressed. The team were friendly fast and efficient. <br /> The Skydrop is awesome. Small light and does the job perfectly and is surprisingly easy to see and use in the air.
Super vario. Male sikovne idealne s dvojitou bateriou. Hned po kurze ma ocarilo svojou velkostou hned som si ho zakupil. D kupy ubehly 2 roky spokojnost od prvej chvile odporucam kazdemu
Initially I bought this little gem as a first GPS vario (after I lost my BlueFlyVario)<br /> Never expected the skydrop could do everything with its tiny screen... but after all, the SkyDrop is just amazing (next to my primary instant vario I use with XCTrack)<br /> <br /> Why: the device is using all the hardware that is in it to the optimum: HAGL calculation, the recent additions of airspace, waypoints.... <br /> <br /> Also the tooling around (update site and downloads) are just working very properly and maintained very well. When there is a bug you can expect it to be solved very fast.<br /> <br /> Keep up the nice work!<br />
it's a nice vario, has a great response in the air, perfect for paragliding .
Absolutely awesome little device that gives you everything you need. Ive been using one now for a few years and its never let me down. However this review is not about the amazing products this company sell but instead their after sales service which to put it lightly is SECOND TO NONE ! With my first skydrop there were a couple of problems which they gave me some online help which went on over many many e-mails unfortunately it was an issue with that particular device but they spent hours helping me. Once it was discovered it was a hardware issue they replaced the device no questions asked. They have always been there for every question ive had. Simply brilliant product and team. Will recommend to everyone. And when I can afford it I will be buying their chase cam which also looks amazing. KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK SKYBEAN