Full featured combined GPS vario
SkyDrop vario is a full featured combined GPS vario. By the way, with its 68g it is the lightest vario with display! SkyDrop is a middle class instrument, dedicated for wide range of pilots. Instead of long listing all the features, which would take many mouse scrolls, we can introduce several use cases. If interested, please find function list in Specification tab:
- Once pilot is autonomous in basic skills (take off or landing), she/he is thirsty for air time. SkyDrop will gratefully help with this mission. It doesn't need to sit on cockpit of cocoon harness, or even worse - at old school leg mount. Instead of that, a riser mount puts instrument right in front of pilot's eyes, where she/he can easily read all what is needed.
- We recommend riser mount also for advanced pilots, due to safety reasons. When using riser mount, pilot can operates device with brake in her/his hand.
- However small and lightweight SkyDrop is, we found some space for complete set of motion sensors. Their fusion with the best available baro sensor creates high sensitive compass or instant vario reaction.
- Competition pilot at the front of leading gaggle needs reliable backup. SkyDrop generates FAI1 class IGC tracklogs and has waypoint navigation with route length optimisation.
- Tandem pilot has very limited space for instruments, but SkyDrop on passengers shoulder or helmet easily solves this situation.
- Do you like hike&XC? SkyDrop with its 68 grams in combination with your mobile phone is all you need for these exciting adventures.
- Leg mount is for camera, not for prehistoric instruments anymore! Riser mount is ideal for "always looking up" acro pilots, who also need some kind of instrument. SkyDrop can provide safety features like altitude alarms, or just G-force meter for fun. Maybe infinity tumble counter will come ;)
- weight 70 g (double battery model 86g)
- dimensions 98x57x19 mm
- battery 1150 mAh (double battery version 2000 mAh), 10-25h fly time
- memory 16 Gb
- vario - analog/digital/average, acoustic signalization, graph history
- instant vario response
- flight logs - IGC/KML accepted for FAI Category 1 competitions
- GPS - ground speed, altitude, heading, glide ratio
- wind speed and direction
- altimeters - 5 adjustable altimeters (relative, absolute, GPS or QNH mode)
- height above ground level (AGL)
- competition waypoint navigation with route length optimisation
- airspace violation warning
- fully customizable - multiple screens with configurable layouts and widgets
- android connectivity - XCTrack, FlyMe, XCSoar, LK8000, TopHat, Sky Land Tracker, Paragliding Dashboard
- iOS connectivity - FlySkyHy, SkyLogger, SkyLogger XXL
- digital compass
- weak lift detection (pre-thermal sound)
- bearing and distance from take-off
- flight diary, fly time, real time clock
- auto take off and landing detection
- UART output (for E-readers connection)
Every future feature will be available for free in software update, check current version here.
- SkyDrop variometer
- raiser holder with adhesive hooks&loops
- protective cordura pocket
- micro USB cable
- user guide
To display altitude above ground, you need to have terrain data loaded in your SkyDrop. We pre-load most flown areas during production. If you have an older device without pre-loaded terrain data, you can download this package here. If your area in not included, you can select and download terrain data and following how to guide. Red marked areas in map represent pre-loaded terrain dat.
SkyDrop vario has airspace violation warning functions. You can download airspace data here.
Web based online configurator is great support tool for SkyDrop, which has two main functions. The first, you can upgrade software in your vario and get new functions. The second, you can customize all settings options more comfortable way than directly on device. Even more, configurator allows you to set most advanced functions like custom acoustics, what is not accessible in vario menu.
If you decide to connect your SkyDrop with phone or tablet via Bluetooth, you can get very accurate barometric data in your flight computer app. We support XCTrack, XCSoar, FlyMe, LK8000, G_variometer and Paragliding Dashboard on Android devices. FlySkyHy, SkyLogger and SkyLoggerXXL are supported apps running on iOS. Please read user manual and watch tutorial videos if you want closer view to this topics.
If you find LCD screen of SkyDrop vario not working anymore or has some non-functional blocks (mostly whole rows), this is caused by mechanical damage of the screen. Even if there are no signs or cracks from outside, for sure there is broken part of LCD inside device. This damage can occur if too heavy force is applied to front side of vario. Please contact us via email to resolve this issue.
Very rarely pilots complain to non-functional GPS receiver. When vario was switched off for longer time or you traveled to another country, some time is needed to achieve 3D GPS fix. If vario still cannot catch it for more than 10 minutes, please go to menu>settings>GPS>status screen to see locked satellites. If there is 0/0 in upper right corner, vario has to be opened and repaired. Please contact us via email resolve this issue.
If you have issues with accelerometer or constant/crazy beeping it is possible that accelerometer is not properly calibrated. There are 2 possible solutions (We recommend the first option to get maximum from device): 1. Calibrate accelerometer, please follow instructions in the manual: Menu>settings>advanced>accelerometer or check out this instructional video. 2. Turn off motion sensors fusion with barometer: Uncheck Menu>Vario>Use accel checkbox
If there is something wrong with your SkyDrop, please leave us message at email@example.com. Please don't send us vario for repair without previous consultation, because in many cases we can fix it by email, so don't waste your money and time if not necessary. If you anyway want send us broken vario without previous consultation, mark package value to 20€ if you are outside of EU.
SkyDrop tutorial - 01 Getting started
Quick start video for the SkyDrop vario.
SkyDrop tutorial - 02 Firmware update
How to update firmware on your SkyDrop vario.
SkyDrop tutorial - 03.1 Bluetooth connection to XCTrack on Android
Tutorial how to setup bluetooth connection between SkyDrop and XCTrack
SkyDrop tutorial - 03.5 Bluetooth connection to FlySkyHy on iPhone
Tutorial how to setup bluetooth connection between SkyDrop and FlySkyHy
SkyDrop tutorial - 03.2 Bluetooth connection to XCSoar on Android
Tutorial how to setup bluetooth connection between SkyDrop and XCSoar
SkyDrop tutorial - 03.4 Bluetooth connection to FlyMe on Android
Tutorial how to setup bluetooth connection between SkyDrop and FlyMe
SkyDrop tutorial - 03.3 Bluetooth connection to LK8000 on Android
Tutorial how to setup bluetooth connection between SkyDrop and LK8000
SkyDrop tutorial - 03.6 Bluetooth connection to SkyLogger on iPhone
Tutorial how to setup bluetooth connection between SkyDrop and SkyLogger
SkyDrop vario improvement
We played with SkyDrop's source code and this is the result. Reaction of vario is now instant (can be disabled in settings). Firmware build 4240 brings better implementation of Kalman filter - fusion of barometer and motion sensors (IMU).
i bought this mainly for tandem flights , i had a basic acoustic vario originally for the tandem but required more detail such as height and ground speed , ive now had it for just over six month and can say its a nice bit of kit, well worth the price, i use my oudie for my main flying simply because the only thing the sky drop lacks is a large colour screen with detailed map, so yes the skydrop is a good piece of kit
I use it from the very begining.. great device... the skybean2 a bought few weeks ago cause it has data to usb as new feature.. thats great..
Bought both the Skydrop and the Skybean2. The skydrop is very user friendly, gives a nice vario sound. integrates with XC track very well via bluetooth, and is reliable. battery life hasnt been an issue so far. I do think the tethering plastic is too weak, as i have broke one already on launch (the first launch) and got tangled and snapped the vario case. Great service overall, great products.
Ich benutze das Skydrop nun seit über 1nem Jahr und hatte es schon bei über 300flügen dabei und ich muss sagen , ich bin zu 100% zufrieden! bei Wettbewerben ist es auf grund der fehlenden Wegpunkte noch nicht zu gebrauchen. aber für den normal Piloten kann es mehr als die meisten benötigen!<br /> Wenn jetzt das update mit den waypoints noch kommt , braucht es nichts anderes mehr.<br /> Preis -Leistung ist es unschlagbar!<br /> <br /> Ich kann es jedem mit bestem gewissen weiterempfehlen! <br /> Mike K.
Perfect device. You have all Information for xc-flights. Best device for hike and fly. I use the SkyDrop individually and in combination with my smartphone (XC-Track). <br /> I had a little problem with my device. GREAT support. I'm excited.